Sunday, June 1, 2008

Devil's Eye Arch




Although few are probably interested, I thought I would share one of the hidden treasures of the Wasatch with whoever checks out this blog. On the ridge line between Alpine and American Fork Canyon (following Preston Canyon on the Alpine side) there is an incredible natural arch called 'Devil's Eye Arch". The arch is actually visible from American Fork Canyon near Timp Cave. The views are amazing, the hike is invigorating, and the wildlife is incredible (we saw three mountain goats with two kids, a lot of deer, tons of cool birds, and hoards of sagebrush lizards). However, the 4000' trailless assent in two and a half miles is probably discourage for many (and the descent is bad enough that those who have made the climb vow not to do it again). Well, here are a few pictures and an invitation to all to give it a try (I'll be glad to show you how to get there on a map).

4 comments:

Chad & Angela Nuttall said...

Wow that's beautiful! Maybe if I just show Chad pictures of the view and not mention how we would get to that point, I could talk him into going with me!

donna said...

I actually thought it was pictures of your current hike already! Wow! how on top of it are you guys!

Rachael said...

I think I might be in that "discouraged" category that pales at the thought of so many feet up OR down. But I'm glad you went because the pictures are really neat!

MarkS said...

I'd like a map of how you got there...