Sunday, March 15, 2009

Draper Temple Open House

On Friday, Jack and I got up early and put on our Sunday clothes. We drove to South Salt Lake (Draper) while singing songs about Jesus and the temple. I mention this because it may have been the spiritual highlight of the day for Jack.

We parked at a chapel and watched a short movie about temples and the Draper area. Jack was an angel. Then we boarded a bus that drove us up the mountain to the temple. Again, Jack was an angel. (Note: the above picture is my not so angelic Jack on the ride down the mountain)

Now the exciting part! We got to walk through the temple ("This is a kid temple, Mommy?"). I wanted to talk to Jack about the sacred rooms and how the temple makes me feel close to my Father in Heaven. Umm...Jack wasn't an angel anymore. He wanted to gallop and somehow he squeezed us onto the elevator that was reserved for elderly. He did hold my hand very well the entire visit and he did see a painting of Mary and Joseph and suggest that we name our baby Jesus.

There was a nice reception following the tour and Jack loved his chocolate cookie and "cute" little water bottle. He confirmed that the elevator ride was his favorite part of the temple. Someday the temple will mean more to him.


Here is a short video about why we (Latter-day Saints) build temples.

5 comments:

Rachael said...

What a great idea, Hailey! Too bad Jack wasn't in the mood for a special moment with his mom. :)

Chris Howell said...

Hey, I want to know how to post a Youtube video on my blog.... how did you get Why Mormon's Build Temples?

donna said...

Our temple doesn't have an elevator or it might be my favorite part too. (kidding) but I did think it was pretty great. No matter what part he liked the best, he associated the temple with a good time. That's a good first step.

Roy & Annette said...

Hailey, I'm so glad you put that video clip on--we had never seen it.

Amber P. said...

Sounds about like our trip! Sammi had an absolute meltdown in the celestial room! Ahhh. I just found the coolest link for you and don't have your email address. It's all about Pirate Parenting. Perfect for our pirate Jack :)