Sunday, February 27, 2011

Being the Best Mom

Jack is singing my praises as of late and it's not half bad considering my mood and list of grievances. It is no secret that Griffin lives for his father and I'm surprised at my lack of concern over this because I'm really okay with the baby loving daddy the best. I guess we each have one child that is completely happy with us. I receive the most good night kisses, Jack's handiwork like the noodle necklace he made me yesterday, and a little bit of praise ("You are the most beautiful and the loveliest.." and "You are too beautiful").

Being the beautiful mother that I am, I decided last week that Jack needed to go somewhere special. The Naperville Children's Museum is ridiculously expensive. They charge children in utero. Friday is my day off and I usually like to start it with one of my favorite gym classes, but last Friday I generously set it aside and loaded the kids up. I asked Jack where he wanted to go (as I drove to the museum). He didn't surprise me with a request for the pirate ship at the children's museum. I explained that it was very expensive and then asked him where else he would like to go. He sighed and then miraculously we pulled into the Children's Museum and had a wonderful adventure!

p.s. After my selfless gift, I took the kids to Target and locked my keys in the car. The day just got better when Jack got to meet a police officer and watch him break into our car! This is one of the keys to being the best mom, I'm pretty sure.
p.s.s. Okay so penguin's don't fly,but wasn't it a good story????

8 comments:

Rachael said...

Jack is absolutely right! you are the best mom!! How fun! Except for the keys in the car part. I hate that. But there's always a silver lining. Like when I got pulled over by a motorcycle cop. Carver loved that. :)

Erin said...

Ha ha ha! I love how you turn your misadventures into best mom days! You rock and I miss you soooooo much. I think of you guys all the time. Wish you were just down the street again you lovelies.

And Ammon saw your last comment and decided the blog needed a makeover ;) I'm happy I got away with it for a good three weeks.

yaya said...

You are a really good, and beautiful Mom! The museum looks so fun, it's too bad they have to charge so much. But I'm glad you had a fun day. Even if the cops had to come and help out! My niece is a detective for the Oakbrook police dept. She could give a tour of the dept. and wouldn't even charge you!

Kristi said...

I agree, you are lovely!

Amy and Craig said...

That is wonderful! I love throwing the rule book out the window occasionally and see how it goes! I'm so sad about the Target thing. Atleast you had your phone!

Craig and Bethany said...

Oh, Hailey! Such a JOY to catch up on your blog. I ran into your parents completely out of the blue downtown yesterday. I kept staring at your mom thinking, "I know her from somewhere. Where is it...?" When it finally hit me, they had stopped because I was being so silly staring! Haha. We had a wonderful visit.

They mentioned that you are a wonderful blogger. They were right. Plus, you are just a beautiful mom and wife too. I can seriously hear your voice lilting through every word. I'm so happy to connect.

Happy mothering and wifing!
Bethany

donna said...

Hailey, I love you! How fun was your day (in spite of the nice officer who had to let you in your car?) You are the most beautiful and the best!

Hey, Amy, I didn't know you liked to throw the rule book out...occasionally. :)

Roy & Annette said...

My kids have asked to go to our children's museum and I just keep telling them it's too expensive, and I really don't take them. Now I know how to win some points! You really are amazing and involved, and I love how many great opportunities/experiences you find to take your kids to.