Thursday, March 31, 2011

Golden Birthday


The mummy cake.

Unwrapping the mystery!
Jack had mummy strips inside the cake that said things like, "you have been cursed to be the best mummy.."
The best tasting and most interesting of Steve's many creations.
THANKS STEVE!
Guess who?
A birthday becomes memorable not because of it's perfection, but because of it's honesty. My day began lousy. I was up too early without direction and no drive to exercise. Jack hopped into my bed a little too early (6:30am...). I had to go to work. It was stressful. Griffy was sick, miserable, clingy and he had the runs so badly that we came home early, where he continued to poop through three outfits before 3pm. Steve got stuck at work and was two hours later than intended and then I cried.

Skip ahead to dinnertime: Steve made the most amazing burgers and he had the table decorated in the warmest yellows. There were yellow lanterns, a yellow tablecloth, yellow plates with our portraits drawn on them (thanks to Jack) and presents crowding a corner of the table. Such a warm, hopeful moment. Really. Then the prayer was said, "Amen" and Griffy threw up...and threw up...and suddenly yellow wasn't my favorite color.

I spent the next part of my birthday talking to a most eccentric and helpful pediatrician. This was followed by a jaunt to Walgreens. When I got home I had the most amazing mummy, brownie ice cream cake, amazing gifts and somehow it really was a great birthday and extremely memorable.


10 comments:

Rachael said...

Oh, dear! that is the worst birthday I've ever heard of. Request a new one - like maybe Monday or Tuesday when our dang late present finally gets there! I hope Griff is okay - what a nasty day!!

Cassidy said...

Happy Birthday! Sorry it was a little rough. I hate days like that!
super cute birthday decorations!

HowellAZ said...

Wow - that is quite a birthday, one that at least you can say you probably won't soon forget (not that you'd prefer those memories to other, more sick-free ones). You are a trooper and I hope you are able to have a great and fabulous weekend to make up for the yucky and not-too-pleasant (aside from the awesome decorations, food and gifts) Golden B-day! :)

Kristi said...

Ugh, and yet you remained so pleasant on the phone! Steve did a great job on the table!

w. leavitt said...

i'm so pleased to see the cake and smiling faces.

Chris Howell said...

Graphic descriptions and no video of the projectile vomiting? I was disappointed. I think Rachael is right, you should get another day. On the other hand, it's one that won't soon be forgotten. Yellow, ewe!

Amy and Craig said...

oh, rachael, I couldn't help but think of one other birthday that was not all you hoped it would be!! I had one of those bdays too in KY. I just ignored it and rescheduled! Hailey, how's everybody now? no more puking I hope! Time to party?!

Lacee DeG said...

Hey! Just saw your comment on protein supplements. Jalaine and I are ON IT..Check back next week, okily doke! What a memorable bday..at least you won't forget it,EVER!!

mrs. m said...

For some reason birthdays never seem to go as planned! It looks like Steve did a great job though, and I hope everyone is better now! Happy Belated Birthday!

The Corbetts said...

Happy late b-day. oh the joys of being a mom. The whole day can go wrong and then at the end of the day putting the kids to bed and your 4 yr old says your the best mommy, or something special as your mummy cake. and suddenly its all worth it.