Monday, August 4, 2008

High in Utah


This past weekend I forced my family to assist in a lichen collecting foray on Boulder Mountain in southern Utah. Everyone had been sick right up until the moment we left. I trusted that we were through the worst and off we went. Well, Jack wasn't. He spent the weekend in excruciating stomach pain, Although the occasional bouts of diarrhea did offer some relief. A couple of these pictures offer a glimpse into his sufferings. Hailey's weren't much better. She was stuck taking care of a sick kid while I scraped lichens off rocks and twigs.



However, things eventually got a little better. Jack loved watching me chase lizards and really loved holding them, a swimming day at the pool raised his spirits again, and chasing a deer through Capital Reef proved to be the icing on the cake. It couldn't last forever. Jack is still sick, and when I asked him if he wants to study lichens like his dad he answers in an emphatic "no".

8 comments:

Rachael said...

I LOVE those last pics of Jack - especially chasing the deer in his onesie.

Your trip sounds horrible! Camping with sick kids is probably a level of Dante's Inferno - a low one. No wonder Jack doesn't want to collect lichen when he grows up. He's going to start associating it with stomach pain. :)

The Corbetts said...

Jack is so cute, his hair has gotten so curly.
Well we came down and missed seeing you guys, we'll be down around september 26th that weekend. I'll call ya when it gets closer. Hopefully you'll be around.
And I agree Hailey you should go on a dance show. your great.

Derek said...

"High in Utah," huh? Is this a John Denver kind of high? Does your Bishop know you've been high in Utah? Great shots, I miss Capitol Reef (actually all of Southern Utah).

Amy and Craig said...

Katie thinks he's stuck in that tree on the crying pic! I keep telling her his head is not stuck, he's just not feeling good. It's fun to see your adventures. I wish I was there for chasing the deer in Capitol reef, but not for the 'rhea'. We saw a kid puking at the play area at the mall yesterday and packed up and purelled immediately! Yikers!

Erin said...

Oh shoot. I didn't realize Jack was still sick -- how yucky for you too. Well, get better folks!

donna said...

Wow! You guys really know how to have fun! I hope by now someone is feeling better. I love the last picture with the rebar kid.

Steve and Hailey said...

I have to say that I love the bottom picture of Jack. I do wish he was altogether clothed or at least that his onesie was completely snapped. Let's just say that we were a bit tired and cutting some corners.
I think "High in Utah" is just a reference to altitude, but you never know, Steve could be holding out on me!

Kristi said...

That picture of Jack in the onesie is classic! I also appreciated the dancing movie. You are teaching him well!!!