Friday, November 7, 2008

Reminders of My Real Job


Most of you know that I'm teaching part-time this year. The whole family is grateful for this sweet, little job, but that doesn't mean I don't complain. I teach Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday afternoons. I basically have the best weekend anyone could ask for. My salary has gone up since this is my fourth year teaching and we receive benefits (after we pay nearly $500/mo...whatever, I'm still grateful).

So let me tell you why I never forget what my real job is. Yesterday I pulled my laptop out of it's bag and unearthed nearly an inch of crushed saltine crackers. As I not so delicately dumped out the powder out came a DIAPER! I find diapers everywhere. I'm sure my co-workers think I have bladder control issues.

I have heard myself call students sweetheart...(whoops!) and I'm tempted, nearly daily, to straighten hair and wipe off dirty faces.

Steve and Jack will drop me off at work occasionally and pick me up. This is quite the ritual. Everyone needs kisses and waves (mainly Steve). The windows are rolled down and I will hear Jack shout, "I love you mommy, I miss you...mommy teaches kids!" I usually want to go back to the car and drive away with them, but somehow I manage to walk towards the school.

Let me tell you, when I come home I NEVER forget that I'm a mommy (dishes, dinner to make, laundry, weird little papers that never have a home. It's just about perfect.

8 comments:

Steve and Hailey said...

This picture is taken in North Carolina. This was our trip with the Starkeys to Grandfather Mtn.

SDL said...

I know its a hard job but somebody has to do it. Right? Anyway, what's for dinner?

Kristi said...

I thought that once I quit my job to stay at home with a baby my house would be spotless and I would make great dinners every night. Neither of those came true, so I don't know how you handle being a mom and teaching so well! Those little papers that don't belong anywhere drive me crazy too!!!

Amy and Craig said...

your family pic turned out WAY better than ours!!! I'm jealous! it's cool they drop you off! I love that jack yells all those things at you through the window! you're amazing!

donna said...

Perfect! I love it! You and Rachael had better get busy on books or memoirs or something!

Rachael said...

GREAT post - I love it. I can totally see myself slipping into mom mode at school. Cute, cute Jack calling out the window! I'm so glad you've been able to make this work out. I'm also really impressed at how well you balance it all. I know for sure that I don't have it in me!

The Corbetts said...

Cute post, reminders of my real job. I saw your halloween pics and it made me homesick for orem, miss having play group with you guys.

Rebecka said...

Hailey, I'm reading this post and out of nowhere I'm bawling. You hit the throbing nerve of mom's who have to go to work. Even to jobs that they love, jobs they are called to, commpeled to pursue.