Sunday, August 30, 2009

So much beauty it could make you cry


So tomorrow is the last day of field work for the year. We have two sites to collect on the South Fork of the White River in the Flat Tops Wilderness Area. After 6000 miles of driving, 150 meals from gas stations, grocery stores, hotels, and restaurants (the elk steak in Glenwood Springs, Colorado was my favorite), over 200 miles of hiking, scores of incredible vistas, rivers, waterfalls, and other natural beauties, looking at tens of thousands of lichens with a hand lens, and six billion nights away from my family, I think I've had my share of exploring the west for awhile. Hailey would have found a new man if she didn't have to put two kids to bed right at the prime time to hit the clubs. Jack probably has liked me being away as I always returned with some toy or novelty for him collected along my travels. However, the cool rocks and glass insulators from old power poles didn't move him as much as the toy jumping spiders or Indian weapon set. Griff has no idea who I am the few days that I've been home he scans the room for mom frantically as I hold my screaming child. I'm sure that Hailey's exhausted and tired of crap that I've put her through put tomorrow night it will be over.

7 comments:

Rachael said...

What a long summer for all of you. I'd cry, too. I'm glad it's finally over!

donna said...

It always hard to balance what has to be done, with what you want to get done, with what you'd like to get done. And now it's probably just nice to be done.

Maybe you'll get to sneak in a family trip before the snow flies.

Welcome back! We missed seeing you when we were there.

Darla said...

So,
I'm confused. What's up? Where's Steve been all summer? Where are you guys living (looks like Provo, still?). Have you been apart all summer? Oh, I feel for you (geof.'s pilot days). I hope the reunion was sweet..

Amy and Craig said...

hurray for husbands being back! I'm still celebrating having craig home and he was only gone 3 days!

Roy & Annette said...

I'm glad you can all be together again for longer term than a few days. I don't know how you all did it. Happy family time!

Rappleye Family said...

Hey Guys! I wanted to drop you a line. I think Steve asked about our blog when we got set apart today. I guess you hadn't heard that I won a car on the Price is Right! Crazy eh? Anyway he found out today from Roger lol...But if you want to read more about it, the story is on our blog. We went a few months ago! ha ha totally unexpected!

Chris Howell said...

Oh man, what would I have given to have been with you on all those adventures. Check out this one that some of my high school friends took back in 1976. http://www.idahosummits.com/epics/michael.ht