Thursday, August 6, 2009

A week in the life of a guy who studies fungi and algae systems (day 1)


So no one cares, but I thought I would provide a glimpse into what my life is like as a lichen dude. For the next week I'll provide a day by day snapshot of what my job entails. If this sounds too awful, don't worry it will be over in a week and you can come back to see Hailey's regular posts. Unfortunately many of the juicy details will be left out and left to your own imagination.

Okay, here we go-

DAY ONE - Gospel Hump Wilderness Area, Idaho.


The few, the proud, the lichenologist


Where we work - looking towards Gospel Peak as the rain comes in.



The search -


The results - all lichen species present at these air quality monitoring sites


That's our day in the Gospel Hump. After a long day in the field its back to the hotel to swim off some calories before I put on twice as many at the 'Pizza Factory' (not the Utah Valley version) in Grangeville.

5 comments:

Steve and Hailey said...

Your pictures are amazing. I want to be there! I'll just get some greyhound tickets and see you tonight. :)

Trent and Janel Lyman said...

I love the outdoors. I wish being a nurse allowed me to spend as much time enjoying nature as you do. have fun.

donna said...

Chris just got back from a week in the Bob Marshall. This day-in-the-life-of-an-intrepid-lichen-guy is going to really be up his alley.

But you're not tenting? Too bad, you won't be able to wake up to drips on you at 4:30 in the morning.

SDL said...

We'll be in the Bob nest week. Too bad we couldn't overlap with Chris. Larry is not much for camping (I think he'll do just about anything to avoid it), and we won't ever get rained on in the middle of the night

Amy and Craig said...

cool pix. I like the top one, next time you get a free t-shirt you should have that put on it (unless your restrained by dna stuff).