Sunday, September 13, 2009

"A Dragon Lives Forever, But Not So Little Boys...."

We now own a sweet bike trailer. We've christened it with a family ride around the circle. The kids and I in the trailer and Steve pushing us. What was funnier you ask? Steve running? Hailey in the trailer crying in laughter? I really don't know, but we do love this trailer and someday we might be able to afford another bike and four new helmets. Steve busted his poor bike on Friday, so the key word is SOMEDAY. I'm pretty sure we won't ever get a new car. We're just going to walk places from now on.
Saturday Steve shot a poor little dove and brought its gruesome little corpse to my clean fridge. After such a jarring beginning I didn't have high hopes for the day, but we went on to have a lot of good clean fun. Walking up the canyon (yes Steve sneered, "this is really getting out" but he did have fun) and swimming in the evening. I even had two hours of trying on denim at the mall without kids. (Does anyone have a cute pair of boyfriend jeans to recommend?)One last note-Jack is being a witch. I thought people were checking out our new bike trailer with envy, but it could have been the red-headed witch, green face and long pointed hat...and newborn baby. Oh and somehow Jack has learned the words to "Puff the Magic Dragon" and all together it was quite a show, even for the jaded parents. Another bonus-almost everything was free-free walking, free swimming, free cafe rio dinner. Who doesn't love FREE? Perfect Saturday and a pretty good ending to a long summer.

12 comments:

Kent and Leisy said...

oh- you know that I love FREE!!! I love the bike trailer!!!

Rappleye Family said...

Who hooked you up with free cafe rio?? NICE!

Lacee DeG said...

I love reading your blog! I love free! Uh, who doesn't, right?! You are SO on the ball-ready for Halloween already! That's amazing!So sad about your bike. Didn't your Hubby ride it to school/work everyday? Many memories on those pedals I'm sure!

Roy & Annette said...

I think it's so funny that Jack wants to be a witch! It looks like you've got all the fixings for the costume. And that little Griff is adorable. Too bad you had to start out the day with a nasty dead bird in your fridge!! So gross!!!

Chris Howell said...

I love the pictures! I love puff the magic dragon! And I'm so glad your summer is having a happy ending. (I think mine might be too!)

not chris :)

cool trailer!

Rachael said...

That trailer is AWESOME. Great pick. And the witch costume is so funny - that's what Lydia wants to be this year. They could be twins! :) Sounds like you overcame your rough start (aka nasty dead bird in your fridge) and had a great Saturday. Loved the post.

w. leavitt said...

the pic of the kids on the bed is a winner

Amy and Craig said...

wow! your baby is super super super cute ( and I happen to have some experience with cute babies so I'd know!).

Derek said...

How did you break the bike?

SDL said...

Hey Derek - I just got to phat. I think that commuting with the rear shock locked-out was too much for the s-link (connecting suspension to frame), and it just snapped going over a little bump.

Amy said...

I have the same bike trailer (Costco?!) and I love it!!! But, I'd like some free Cafe rio right now. :)

Darla said...

We love our bike trailer, too!! We scored an older Burley on craigslist for $30. Yes, it has mildew stains, but I LOVE it and ride it everywhere (which is not easy in un-bike friendly Richmond). Jack's adorable, your baby (name??) is so precious and beautiful, I can't even stand it, and the thought of you in the bike trailer (really?) has me almost laughing so hard I'm crying. Sweet fam..