Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Ship That Will Never Set Sail

I wish I were the 'Pioneer Woman' or some other domesticated goddess, but I am not. I'm not really sure what I am yet. I do know that I have the most amazing mother. She's perfect. She is Mary Poppins and Floreline Maria in one (funny since it's the same person, right?). I remember perfect cakes and perfectly, sewn Halloween costumes and just perfect. Maybe her memories are different, but she can do no wrong in my eyes.

Which brings me abruptly to Jack's birthday cake and EVERY birthday cake excepting mine each and every blessed year. They should be creative and perfect and taste good. Why? I am mature enough to realize that it only matters to me. In the face of my lofty goals this recent cake starting creaking...whoa and then...CRACK! The whole stinkin thing broke through the middle of the helm! (there are no troubleshooting ideas on Family Fun!!!).

Here's the salvage job (I could have disguised the glass cups on each side, but I didn't want to fight anymore). Bless Jack...he was thrilled. To me, the cake tasted like a box cake (even with my adjusting) and looked a bit rattled, but to Jack it was almost good enough to climb aboard. SET OUT TO SEA MATEY!
Kate, my cuz, was amazing! She held and talked to Jack while he plugged his ears (sometimes for no apparent reason) at the parade on Saturday. Credit goes to Penny Penn too, but she wasn't here for this pic.
Here's the gang! They are so wonderful! Maybe they'll all move to Chicago with me! :)

13 comments:

leah said...

That cake is Amazing, I don't know what you are talking about.

Erin said...

The flaggies on top and the cannons with the candles on the side are so cool! You can make me a birthday cake any year ;) We had soooo much fun at the park and at your house. Guess we'll have to find more excuses to come visit you in Chicago over the next couple years!

Amy said...

I thought your first picture was one from Family Fun magazine, not yours. It looks great!! I did a pirate cake for Tyler's 3rd b-day this year, but I did much simpler. Also, where was the parade? I saw a float on the road in Provo on Saturday and wondered where it was from...

Janna Mills said...

We will gladly move to Chicago with you!! The parade was so fun :) And that cake is fantastic!

Kristen said...

I think the cake looks stellar! I wouldn't even know how to attempt making a cake, other than a cupcake. Nicely done! And in my eyes you are definitely an amazing mother when I see you have time to even make a cake while having 2 kids and being a solo parent a lot of the time. I'm having difficulties managing to get anything done with just one child. So kudos to Hailey--mom of the year!

Anonymous said...

Cute cake! Did you make it to the library for pirate days this week? I am sure Jack would have loved it! Excited to hear about Chicago! Good luck!

Dave and Michelle Howell said...

Your mom definitely set the bar high - she has the golden touch. I remember looking at some of her embroidry work and the back of her piece looked better than the front of mine. I try not to let her intimdate me, but she is good at EVERYTHING! and your cake did look very piratey!

Laney said...

did you see my cake? it should make you feel much better about yours.

Rachael said...

What the heck, Hailey... that cake is absolutely insane - PERFECT in every way I can think of. And so much work!! I'm doing box chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting for Lydia on Saturday. Maybe some sprinkles. I'm not showing my kids your cakes or they'll start expecting more from me!!

But still, I know those feelings of comparing to mothers (or mothers-in-law) and always coming up short. Just remember that you are THE MOM this time around. And to Jack, everything you do is just right. :)

donna said...

you have a funny memory. Maybe the cakes of your youth seemed perfect because I never tried anything hard or original! Your cake is fabulous!

Scott and Sarah said...

Awesome cake Hailey! Your boys are seriously lucky. Chicago!!! That's halfway to me :) We need to mapquest the distance. Maybe you want to take a trip to the Palmyra pageant this summer????? Scott is in school at Syracuse University for an MBA and MPA. We are really liking this area :) Come visit!!!!!!!!

Roy & Annette said...

Your cake looks super! I think it's just the 3-D cakes that have this problem. Your story reminded me of when Alyssa wanted a Nemo cake and I actually made Nemo. He started cracking and then tipping pretty bad. We just said he was swimming a tight curve. I can't tell you how many toothpicks were in the thing. You're doing great, Hailey!

Unknown said...

I have to laugh and agree with many of the previous posts. The fact you attempted such a cake is quite amazing to me ;)