Sunday, July 4, 2010

An Era Ending

Does the picture tell the whole story? There is no glamor in moving, but many telltale signs. No one is sad for our move. It's been a long work that bring us to tomorrow morning, a moving truck and a long drive. It's actually sad. I didn't know if I would feel that emotion swirl around with all the others, but I certainly do and so does Steve.

I wish I had another picture to post. A picture of Steve in doctoral robes. That picture may or may not grace our blog in August, but I do get to say how incredibly proud I am of his accomplishment. He is officially a doctor and I'll claim that title also. He'll never own up to his achievement, but I LOVED every second of his Defense and I was amazed by the completeness of his work and his ideas. He's incredibly brilliant and his faith has blessed our family in so many beautiful ways.

For those of you wondering why Steven doesn't know if he'll walk across a stage for graduation, never forget his ability to know and speak his mind. You might consider any of the following topics:
graduation ceremonies
circumcision
Glen Canyon
Mount Meadow Massacre
evolution
non-native plants in Utah

9 comments:

Rachael said...

Oh - that IS sad, Hailey! Moving is always a bittersweet thing to me, even when the move is in the right direction. It's the end of a bigger era, too, as you leave Sarah Circle. Someone from your side of the family has lived in that building for 8 years. Think of how someone has been in Utah for... I can't even imagine. Has their been a break since Derek left for his freshman year? Maybe until Amy came, but probably not since then. At least 13 years? Talk about end of an era!

I can't wait to see what this next chapter in your lives is like! And how you'll feel changed coming back to Utah in a few years. Boxes on this end are sad, but unpacking and settling in has always been exciting to me. It feels so clean! No dust under the furniture, no crumbs in the drawers...

yaya said...

I'm excited for your move and hope you find this "mission field" experience a good one. You are a sweet family and I hope to see you when I visit my family. By then you'll be an old hand at knowing the area, the best bargain places, the best neighbors....well, you get the point! Good luck!

Lacee DeG said...

Hailey!
I'm so happy for you guys, and super sad I willnever see you in the halls at Park school (or randomly at the zoo!). You've been waiting so patiently, you deserve all the wonderful things that are coming your way! Don't forget your Utah pals!! Love ya!

Kristi said...

Hailey, maybe you can walk across the stage in August for him! I am also excited to see what the next chapter brings for your cute little family. I will miss you terribly, but I will still be excited to hear about everything!

Derek said...

Wait a minute! Stop everything! What exactly ARE his feelings about circumcision?? I'm feeling a little uncomfortable about the way you're ending this Hailey.

Romney Family said...

It is always bittersweet!! Good luck with the move!!!

Crystal said...

We already miss you!!! We wish you the best of Luck on your new Journey in Life!! Keep updating your blog! Hope all is well!

Sarah said...

ahhh, the painful signs of uprooting. Congrats on your move up in life, good luck with getting settled in Chicago!!

donna said...

And on long with Derek's note, what about the Mountain Meadow Massacre. I don't think I've heard him weigh in on that one! Oh, if I'd only known this morning on our drive to the airport.

Moving is exhausting and hard, but I do like where you are now and I can't wait to see you again in October!