Sunday, May 15, 2011

Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner


Griffin is now two and even with the bumpy mood changes, I would still request this year be lengthened into two years. I really love the 18months-ish stage with my children. I love all the talking! It seems they go from two word labeling to just pure enlightenment and mostly Steve and I "ooh" and "ah" over them.

Griffin's birthday was perfect. Daddy got home a little early, we loaded up a HUGE store bought bag of lava rocks into the Radio Flyer. We put Griffin in along side of them and Jack rode his matching trike (when will this kid get excited for a bike?). We got to the neighborhood pond and discovered baby ducks and baby goslings and then we dumped out a tremendous mound of rock and we began plucking them off the pile and into the pond. The sky was full of purple, dark grays and blues and before too long and in a split second, huge raindrops exploded from the sky
and soaked us. Griffy hated it...Jack went illogical and Steve and I laughed and trucked kids, toys and noise home with us.

The thunderstorm was not only beautiful, it was helpful. It was easy to do business bathes, scriptures and a story and then quickly come down for cake, ice cream and a mountain of presents.

Griffy had a viking cake. The cake looked delicious, but looks, in this case, were deceiving and it tasted like dry box cake. :) After we all got a piece, Steve and I demolished the cake (hands and faces) and that was shortly entertaining. Griffy and Jack were thrilled with the birthday gifts. Legos were a highlight and Griffin's first (and perhaps last) Zhu Zhu pet. I sure had a hard time dropping ten bucks on that happy meal-ish toy, but he loves it. It was the perfect, simple birthday.

7 comments:

Kristen said...

Happy 2nd birthday Griffin! Sounds like the perfect birthday to me especially the cake part. I love a good food fight! Griffin will love the pirate ship toy. We got that for Sawyer on his 1st birthday, although I think he may have been a little young for it then. He all but ignored it for a few months and now it's favorite toy to destroy, I mean play with :)

Kristi said...

You guys are hilarious. Did you make that cake?

Rachael said...

I agree - 2 year olds are the best! Until they start approaching 3 and then it gets rough again. It sounds like the perfect birthday, even with a dry cake. It looked awesome!! Happy birthday to Griff! Will you take video of him talking and playing? I am trying not to be really sad not to see him in June!!!

Erin said...

Wow! Griffy is so, so, so, so cute! Oh how I miss seeing your children grow up. I love all the pictures and posts! You are our favorite people in Chicago!

HowellAZ said...

What a big, adorable guy he is! It was fun to hang out a bit in Utah...sounds like there is just rain everywhere these days! But you guys are such good sports and didn't let it ruin all the birthday fun. I can say I would've been happy with that pile of toys and awesome cake, but once the cake hit Steve's face, it suddenly became less appetizing!

Roy & Annette said...

What a happy birthday! And how many kids, let alone 2 year-olds, get viking cakes? He's a sweetie for sure.

Amy and Craig said...

Hands down best viking beard EVER! I bet Hailey likes kissing that beard better too (not so scratchy I'll bet, more sweet!).