Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Quaking Bog


What sounds cooler than a quaking bog? Who wouldn't want to spend a Saturday hunting for the Illinois (Volo) quaking bog? We couldn't pass up this spot on the map and we finally took up the adventure yesterday. I packed a few things the night before and we left the house just before 8am. The drive to the Volo bog is just an hour north of us. Sounds quick, but it was plenty of time for Jack to practice counting to ten in Spanish and plenty of time for Griffin to throw a huge, stinkin fit about who knows what.

We all loved the boardwalk through and around the bog. It's about a half mile and thanks to the cool day and lack of bugs, it was absolutely awesome. We also dragged and pushed the kids 2.5 miles around the entire bog. There were plenty of sticks for sword fighting, beautiful flowers and green everywhere. I'm constantly grateful for the variety and beauty of God's creations. We still miss our mountains, but the bog was a good find.

4 comments:

SDL said...

Also we collected Melanelixia subaurifera. I'm so happy.

HowellAZ said...

I kept thinking the title said 'the quaking blog', then I finally got it when I read your post! Guess we haven't come across many bogs in Arizona or in Utah - glad you could share your experience with me! You guys are always heading to the great outdoors - love it! I bet the boys really enjoy running around in nature. I think that picture of you with the boys is just adorable...with Jack hugging you, it's just so cute!

Sarah said...

what a happy busy life! And can you believe it, spring really does come after winter...

Rachael said...

I'm going to a bog here with Lydia's class on Friday! We'll have to compare notes. :) Great pictures - looks like a fun outing!